Art Creation – Music/Dance/Poetry
Read/review the following resources for this activity:
- Textbook: Chapter 9, 10
- Minimum of 1 scholarly source (in addition to the textbook)
This week you will use your readings from the past week as a point of departure to create your own artistic production and a reflection paper.
Part 1: Art Creation
Select a poem, musical piece, or dance piece to use as a point of inspiration. Create a work of poetry, lyrics, music, or dance, inspired by your selected art piece. Video or audio recordings should be no longer than 5 minutes and must be in MP4 format.
Note: If your art creation requires a separate file submission, please submit in the Art Creation Submission (Recordings) area following this assignment.
Part 2: Reflection
Write a reflection about the relationship between your art production and the inspiration piece. Include the following in the reflection paper:
- Inspiration Piece
- Include the inspiration poem, lyrics, or recording of musical or dance piece within the document. Use a link in the case of a recording.
- Record the title, artist/author/composer, year, and place of origin.
- Briefly explain the background of the inspiration piece.
- Your Art Piece
- Include your original poem or lyrics within the document. If you selected a musical or dance piece, submit as a separate file in the Art Creation Submission (Recordings) area following this assignment.
- Provide a title.
- Explain the background of your piece.
- Explain the thematic connection between the two pieces.
- How are they similar and different?
- Are they the same medium? How does the medium impact what the viewer experiences?
Original Artwork Requirements
- Methods: typed poem or lyrics, or recording of musical or dance piece
- No computer-generated pieces
- Your poem or lyrics are not evaluated on your skill as a poet or lyricist.
Writing Requirements (APA format)
- Length: 1.5-2 pages (not including title page, text of inspiration piece, or references page)
- 1-inch margins
- Double spaced
- 12-point Times New Roman font
- Title page
- References page (minimum of 1 scholarly source)
This activity will be graded based on the W5 Art Creation & Reflection Rubric.
CO 1: Identify the content, forms, and/or techniques of work of art (e.g., architecture, fine art, literature, and/or drama).
CO 2: Analyze the content, forms, and/or techniques of a work of art (e.g., architecture, fine art, literature, and/or drama).
CO 3: Explain the historical/cultural/social context in which a work was created.
CO 4: Classify works of art using different approaches (by discipline, genre, style, period, etc.) in order to contextualize the works and relate them to a variety of influences.
CO 5: Create an original artistic composition as an expression of the human experience.