Culturally Competent Nursing
In a Microsoft Word document of 4-5 pages formatted in APA 7 style, you will describe an interview of a person from a cultural background that is different from your own.
Select a person from a cultural group different from your own. You may choose a patient, friend, or work colleague. For the sake of confidentiality, do not reveal the name of the person you interview; use only initials.
In your paper, include the following:
• A complete cultural assessment using the 12 domains from the Purnell Model for Cultural Competence in your textbook, Transcultural Health Care: A Culturally Competent Approach (SEE BELOW).
• A description of implications for health practices.
• Include an introduction, conclusion and complete details.
On a separate references page, cite all sources using APA 7 format.
***Micro Aspects of the Model On a micro level, the model’s organizing framework consists of 12 domains and their concepts, which are common to all cultures. These 12 domains are interconnected and have implications for health. The utility of this organizing framework comes from its concise structure, which can be used in any setting and applied to a broad range of empirical experiences and can foster inductive and deductive reasoning in the assessment of cultural domains. Once cultural data are analyzed, the practitioner can fully adopt, modify, or reject health-care interventions and treatment regimens in a manner that respects the patient’s cultural differences. Such adaptations improve the quality of the patient’s health-care experiences and personal existence.
The Twelve Domains of Culture These are the 12 domains that are essential for assessing the ethnocultural attributes of an individual, family, or group:
1. Overview, inhabited localities, and topography
3. Family roles and organization
4. Workforce issues
5. Biocultural ecology
6. High-risk behaviors
8. Pregnancy and childbearing practices
9. Death rituals
11. Health-care practices
12. Health-care providers