- Which of the following is NOT true of Saturn?
A. It is the only planet with a ring system.
B. It has huge storms in its atmosphere.
C. It has a composition and structure similar to Jupiter.
D. It has many moons.
2. Which of the following statements is true?
A. Astronomical units are a measurement of time.
B. Light years are the distance light travels in one year.
C. Light years are a measurement of time.
D. Light years are measured in astronomical units (AU).
3. Which of the following is the final stage in a thunderstorm?
A. heavy precipitation is released from the cloud
B. cooling effect of the falling precipitation
C. warm, moist air is supplied to the clouds
D. surge of warm air causes the cloud to grow vertically
4. Tornadoes form in
A. all thunderstorms.
B. some severe thunderstorms.
C. association with anticyclones.
D. association with high-pressure centers.
5. Why has Mars been more studied with telescopes than Jupiter?
A. Jupiter is less dense than Mars.
B. Mars is made of rock.
C. Jupiter is farther away.
D. Mars lacks a thick atmosphere hiding the surface.
6. Salinity increases in the ocean around Antarctica when
A. temperatures increase.
B. sea ice melts.
C. evaporation decreases.
D. sea ice forms.
7. Organisms that live on or burrow into the ocean floor are
8. Of the choices below, the planet furthest from the sun is
9. What does a steep air pressure gradient cause?
A. north winds
B. variable winds
C. high winds
D. light winds
10. Which of the following is NOT one of the four major topographic features of the ocean basin floor?
A. submarine canyon
B. deep-ocean trench
D. abyssal plain
11. A longshore current flowing southwards along a coast will primarily transport sedimentv
A. to the east, out to sea.
B. southwards parallel to the shoreline.
C. perpendicular to the shoreline.
D. northwards parallel to the shoreline.
12. Winds blowing across the ocean surface cause friction which results in
A. density currents.
B. the Coriolis effect.
C. surface currents.
D. neap tides.