In light of knowledge gained from the current course on Teaching and Learning Strategies, prepare your personal assessment as an educator and a personal philosophy as a nurse educator. The criteria for your personal philosophy and assessment, at a minimum, should include: targets such as historical contexts/theories, professionalism, curriculum, planning, assessment, teaching strategies, and learning. Discuss how your personal philosophy of nursing education and self assessment evolved from the course competencies.
The course competencies for this course are as follows:
- Explore the role of educator in facilitating the development of motivation, critical thinking, problem solving, evidenced based practice, and clinical decision making in students across the educational spectrum.
- Synthesize principles of adult learning theory, teaching and learning strategies, and assessment and evaluation through development of a holistic teaching plan for the classroom and clinical settings.
- Discuss the role of innovation in technology and distance learning and its impact on the roles and competencies needed for the successful educator.
- Critically explore the recommendations and innovations being fostered by professional organizations in the quest to ensure quality in nursing education.
- Examine one’s personal philosophy of education in relation to teaching and learning to determine a fit for self in the role of educator across a variety of settings.