My chosen topic is infection control for patients who are on ventilators. I currently work with many patients who are on ventilation and many of them do acquire nosocomial infection of ventilation associated pneumonia (VAP) which is the main cause of mortality of these patients ( Clinn, 2006). Some of the risk factors that put them at risk include impairing swallowing of secretions, acting as a reservoir for bacterial proliferation, and requiring suctioning to remove secretions. To combat VAP, I would focus on Evidence-Based Practide methods of hand hygiene before and after each patient contact. In addition, the use of gloves and sterile equipment which plays a vital role in preventing the spread of VAP.
Clinn, A. (2006). Vestimator Associated Pneumonia and Infection control. Retrieved from
This Assignment is helpful in developing the groundwork for understanding and integrating evidence-based practice in healthcare throughout the rest of the course. In this Assignment you will have the chance to see how the research you look for can be applied in the work you do in your practice.
You will select a topic relevant to your practice area, post the topic to Discussion Board 2 for feedback, research the topic, and write a scholarly paper.
From the chapter readings and discussion, formulate a 3–5 page scholarly paper in APA format, providing an overview of the terms and function of EPB. An introduction, discussion and conclusion is expected in the overview on this topic
- Formulate the question.
- Using the Cochrane database, research the question using the PICOT model and key words.
- Post your topic and a short summary of results for feedback from your instructor and peers by Day 5.
- Write a 3–5 page paper, reviewing evidence-based practice, as it relates to your practice question and integrate feedback from the instructor and/or peers.
- Include a minimum of three evidence-based references.
To view the Grading Rubric for this Assignment, please visit the Grading Rubrics section of the Course Home.
Before finalizing your work, you should:
- be sure to read the Assignment description carefully (as displayed above)
- consult the Grading Rubric (under the Course Home) to make sure you have included everything necessary;
- utilize spelling and grammar check to minimize errors; and
Your writing Assignment should:
- follow the conventions of Standard American English (correct grammar, punctuation, etc.);
- be well ordered, logical, and unified, as well as original and insightful;
- display superior content, organization, style, and mechanics; and;
- use APA 6th edition format
Submit your Assignment to the unit Dropbox before midnight on the last day of the unit.
When you are ready to submit your Assignment, click the Dropbox tab and select this unit’s basket from the dropdown menu, then attach your file. Make sure to save a copy of your work and be sure to confirm that your file uploaded correctly.
For help uploading your file, review the Student Guide to the Dropbox.