B. Explore how mitochondrial disease can occur at multiple levels in different mitochondrial processes by doing the following:
1. Explain what would hypothetically happen to the amount of ATP available to a cell if the entire Cori cycle were to occur and remain within a single cell (e.g., a muscle cell).
a. Identify specific numbers of ATP generated and used in the different parts of the cycle, in conjunction with your response from part B1.
2. Create an original dynamic diagram that shows how the citric acid cycle (CAC) is central to aerobic metabolism.
Note: A dynamic diagram is a clearly labeled diagram that uses arrows to indicate movement and interactions.
3. Explain where in the CAC a hypothetical defect of an enzyme could occur that would decrease the overall ATP production of the mitochondria, including each of the following:
● whether the entire cycle will continue to function
● what will happen to the cycle products
● why ATP production decreases
Note: This is a hypothetical defect, so the explanation should not include descriptions of any known disease.
Please include resources