: This assignment requires viewing a documentary film – “An Inconvenient Truth.” You have several options. Easiest… click on the embedded link below. For better screen resolution, you can rent the video online for $2.99 via Google Play:. If you use Netflix, it is also available there. FYI, if you try to use Youtube, the segments are not complete.
Please note: Whether you like Al Gore or not, keep in mind that he is presenting the cumulative work of leading scientists (see answer to #16). It is the *science* that is being presented here. From what we now are observing, estimates made in this film are proving to be underestimates of climate change and global warming. It must be answered in full sentence, now word count limitation.
1. In two words, what is the topic of this film?
2. Name the four spheres of the Earth (not the hemispheres!). Of these, which one(s) do humans have the most impact on?
3. What causes the greenhouse effect?
4. What causes the annual downturns in carbon dioxide production?
5. What does Lonnie Thompson use to measure past CO2 and O2 levels? Other than CO2 and O2 levels, what other parameter can he and fellow scientists determine?
6. For tropical glaciers (e.g., Peru), how far back in time can they go using this technique?
7. How far back in time can they go using this technique in Antarctica?
8. How well do CO2 levels and temperature match over this time?
9. List the ten hottest years on record, according to the film.
10. List the ten hottest years on record, according to recent (2016 or 2017) source.
11. Other than temperature, what other weather phenomena (there are several) have set records in the last few years?
12. Where on Earth is global warming the most pronounced?
13. What causes ocean waters to sink? (name two factors)
14. What caused the Little Ice Age in Europe?
15. Melting of what two large ice masses is of most concern in regard to rising sea levels?
16. How many scientific articles (as opposed to those in the popular press) were surveyed here in regard to global warming? How many of these articles disputed that global warming is indeed occurring?
17. Why did Ford, GM and Chrysler undergo a harsh downturn relative to other car makers?
18. Do we currently have the technology to solve the global warming problem? Please elaborate.
19. We have made great progress in fixing another major environmental problem – which one was that?
20. What is the correlation between temperature increase and global catastrophes? List four types of catastrophes related to temperature, and discuss the role temperature plays (some obvious of course!).
21. What are the implications of ocean acidification?
22. Why does reduction in soil moisture content pose an impending disaster for many areas in the world?
23. Global warming causes permafrost to melt. Why is this important in regard to: a) infrastructure, and b) future CO2 levels?
24. What are your thoughts regarding the role humans and the burning of carbon-based fuels in global warming? This is an opinion question and will not be graded according “right/wrong” (but you still have to answer!).