IMPORTANT NOTE REGARDING WORD LIMIT REQUIREMENTS:
Please note that each and every assignment has its own word limit.
This discussion should be between 150 and 200 words. (The List of References should not be included in the word count.)
Discussion 2: Role of the Military in Disaster Response
During the events of 9/11, the military scrambled fighter jets that were tasked with patrolling the skies around Washington, D.C. and New York City. In the wake of Hurricane Katrina and other disasters, the military has been called on to respond to communities in dire need. The United States Coast Guard was praised for the rescue of over 33,000 people during and after the storm. The deployment of military personnel and equipment was the fastest and largest in United States history. The National Guard of each state plays a significant role in responding to domestic disasters. There are disputes, however, about federalizing the National Guard because this might signal that relations between the president and the governor of the respective state may have broken down. Other questions surrounding the use of deadly force by National Guard troops, and the issue of declaring martial law to maintain civil order, loom large in the debate.
For this Discussion, consider the role of the military in disaster response.
With these thoughts in mind:
Post by Day 4 a brief explanation of the role of the military in disaster response. Then explain any positive or negative impacts the military may have on disaster response.
Be sure to support your postings and responses with specific references to the Learning Resources.
Discussion should be 150 to 200 words with at least three references…. MULTIPLE USE OF INTEXT CITATION AND PAGE NUMBER
It is important that you cover all the topics identified in the assignment. Covering the topic does not mean mentioning the topic BUT presenting an explanation from the context of ethics and the readings for this class
To get maximum points you need to follow the requirements listed for this assignments 1) look at the page limits 2) review and follow APA rules 3) create subheadings to identify the key sections you are presenting and 4) Free from typographical and sentence construction errors.
REMEMBER IN APA FORMAT JOURNAL TITLES AND VOLUME NUMBERS ARE ITALICIZED.
Assessment: You will be required to take one these Emergency Management Institute (EMI) courses this week. See the Assignment area for more details.
- FEMA. (2011). IS-700.a: NIMS an introduction. Retrieved from http://www.training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/IS/courseOverv…
- FEMA. (2012). IS-800.B: National response framework, an introduction. Retrieved from http://www.training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/IS/courseOverv…
- Sylves, R. (2015). Disaster policy and politics: Emergency management and homeland security (2nd ed.). Washington, DC: CQ Press.
- Chapter 6, “Intergovernmental Relations in Disaster Policy”
- Chapter 7, “Civil-Military Relations and National Security”
- FEMA. (2008, January). National response framework (P-682). Washington, D C: Department of Homeland Security.
National Response Framework. 2008. FEMA.
- Read pp. 1–12
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security. (2008, December). National incident management system. Washington, DC: Author.
National Incident Management System. P-501. Catalog Number 08336-1. 2008. FEMA.
- Read pp. 5–28 and pp. 45–74
- FEMA Emergency Management Institute. (2012). Independent study program (ISP). Retrieved from http://www.training.fema.gov/IS/crslist.asp?page=a…
Note: This is the portal for EMI certificates.