Disaster Management Assignment
Disasters are catastrophic events that often result in extensive property damage and loss of life. Extreme devastation can occur from both man-made and natural disasters. Nurses play a major role in responding to disasters to help ensure the best possible outcomes.
Upon completion of this activity, the learner will:
1. Understand the role of the Community Health nurse in disaster management.
2. Understand the principles of disaster management, including working within incident command structures.
3. Differentiate between the adult and pediatric triage algorithms (START and JumpSTART).
4. Apply triage algorithms to appropriately prioritize and treat victims.
5. Utilize principles of professional collaboration to assure for efficient and effective care of victims.
6. Utilize principles of professional collaboration to assure for efficient and effective care of victims.
Please complete all of the following assigned readings and viewings, answer the questions below.
Read: Association of Public Health Nurses “The Role of the Public Health Nurse in Disaster Preparedness and Response http://nacchopreparedness.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/APHN_Role-of-PHN-in-Disaster-PRR_FINALJan14.pdf
Read: Demarco & Healey-Walsh: Chapter 20 pages 405-414 (Stop at Bioterrorism)
Read: ATI: Chapters 2 & 6
Review: Class Powerpoint Presentation on Disasters
Review: Triage algorithm:
Please answer the following questions. Questions must be answered by individual students in narrative format. Turnitin® will be used to assess for integrity.
1. What disaster risks are present in the Chicagoland area (natural or man-made)?
2. Explain the disaster management cycle/plan/continuum. How do nurses participate at each step/phase?
3. What is an Incident Command System and why is it necessary?
4. What activities are prioritized at a disaster site? (p. 23-24 AAP article)
5. Explain the START (Field) Triage Model, including assessments critical for determining a victim’s condition.
6. What is the difference between START and JumpSTART Triage Models?
7. Fill in the boxes: Color coding for Triage (Table 20.2)
8. What Life Saving Interventions (LSI) should first responders/medical personnel be prepared to administer at a disaster site? What might they delegate to the “walking wounded”?
9. Mental health issues can emerge during and after disaster situations and could lead to permanent disability. What does the term “Psychological First Aid” mean and how might the nurse engage in this activity in a disaster situation? (See Chapter 21, pages 461-464, Figure 21.5 and Table 21.4)
10. Identify and prioritize three (3) nursing diagnoses related to this topic.
[This activity is worth 6 clinical hours]
Provide this Pre brief and Clinical Instructors will run simulation through Course Point: