Biotechnology and Reproductive Rights
It is the ultimate progression for many young couples: get married, settle into a nice job, buy a house, and ultimately start a family. However, many couples find that when the time comes to start their family, they are unable to conceive a child. Thanks to advances in medicine, many are able to ultimately have a child using various infertility treatments or adoption. What happens when you are denied the opportunity to adopt or receive fertility treatments due to an existing medical condition? This is the topic of the article “Case Series of Fertility Treatment in HIV-Discordant Couples (Male Positive, Female Negative): The Ontario Experience” and the focus of this assignment.
- Read the article referenced above. After reading the article respond to the questions listed below.
- Briefly summarize the article.
- What are the reasons given for not allowing these couples to receive fertility treatments?
- What ethical principles are being violated?
- Do you agree or disagree with the position of not allowing these couples to receive fertility treatment?
- Should the government or healthcare organizations have the right to refuse someone the opportunity to have a child?
- Be sure to conduct additional research to gather sufficient information to familiarize yourself with the facts of the case and be sure to justify/support your position.
- Limit your responses to a maximum of three pages.
- Please support your discussions with scholarly support (3-5 references). Be sure to properly cite all references.
- Apply critical thinking skills the the assignment component.
APA style with citation and cover page