Write an essay consisting of at least 500 words addressing ALL of the following topics (a. through i.):
- Mention two states in the U.S. that receive 50 to 75 inches of rain annually.
- Describe the hydrologic cycle.
- During a particular storm, 1.8 inches of rain fell over an area of 10 acres. What was the rainfall volume in acre-ft? Show your work.
- In the hyetograph in Figure 3-5 of our textbook, what is the rainfall intensity 15 minutes from the beginning of the storm in inch/hour?
- If a news service mentions that a 50-year storm caused recent flooding along the Mississippi River, what is the probability of that storm occurring in any given year (express your answer in percent)?
- Explain the concept of rainfall intensity-duration-frequency (IDF) curves including why they differ from location to location.
- Describe the watershed where you live.
- Perform an Internet search, and provide a website that shows a hydrograph for a river in the state of Iowa. What is the maximum flow (also known as discharge and flow rate) shown on the graph?
- Provide a typical permeability coefficient of salty sand. Why is it more permeable than clay?