Constant Change – Mother Tongues
[Episode 3] Video Guide
on Kanopy Films
1. What two reasons are given for Africa having such a rich diversity of languages
2. How long ago
a. might Swahili have been spoken?
b. And what does the word mean?
3. How did Bantu languages spread?
4. Khoisan languags:
a. What are the Khoisan languages best known for?
b. How did the Zulu and Xhosa pick up Khoisan language?
5. Why does Oceania contain about 1/4 of the world’s language diversity?
6. Mandarin and Cantonese share many root words but what makes them be considered a different language by people outside of China?
7. Which language in Europe is an isolate from the other Indo-European languages?
8. French affected English through which part (class or caste) of society?
9. Why has “hip-hop” developed into such a strong dialect of “black” English?
10. What did linguists discover about Native American languages that they did not expect at first?Mother Tongues Video Guide.pdf