THERE IS A TEMPLATE ATTACHED
At some point in every construction project, efforts turn from design and the focus moves to actual construction. With the vision in place and the tools secured, the blueprint can be finalized and approved. Then it is time to put on hardhats and begin work.
Throughout the course you have developed aspects of your Academic and Professional Development Plan. You have thought a great deal about your vision and goals, your academic and professional network of support, research strategies and other tools you will need, the integrity of your work, and the value of consulting the work of others. With your portfolio in place, it is now time to finalize your blueprint for success.
Much as builders remain cognizant of the building standards as they plan and begin construction, nurses must remain mindful of the formal standards of practice that govern their specialties. A good understanding of these standards can help ensure that your success plan includes any steps necessary to excel within your chosen specialty.
In this Assignment you will continue developing your Academic Success and Professional Development Plan by developing the final componentâ€“a review of your specialty standards of practice.
- Review the scope and standards of practice or competencies related to your chosen specialty in the resources for this module.
- Review the MSN specializations offered at Walden by viewing the module resource, Walden University. (n.d.). Master of Science in Nursing (MSN).
- Examine professional organizations related to the specialization you have chosen and identify at least one to focus on for this Assignment.
- Reflect on the thoughts you shared in the Discussion forum regarding your choice of a specialty, any challenges you have encountered in making this choice, and any feedback you have received from colleagues in the Discussion.
Complete the following items and incorporate them into the final version of your Academic Success and Professional Development Plan.
- With the resources specific to the MSN specialization and the, Walden University. (n.d.). Master of Science in Nursing (MSN), shared in this module, write a paragraph or make a Nursing Specialty Comparison table, comparing at least two nursing specialties that include your selected specialization and second-preferred specialization. (My specialty is PMHNP) CHOOSE ANOTHER SPECIALTY BELOW ON THE RESOURCE TO COMPARE
- Write a 2- to 3-paragraph justification statement identifying your reasons for choosing your MSN specialization. Incorporate feedback you received from colleagues in this Moduleâ€™s Discussion forum.
- Identify the professional organization related to your chosen specialization for this Assignment, and explain how you can become an active member of this organization.
Bickford, C. J., Marion, L., & Gazaway, S. (2015). Nursing: Scope and standards of practice, third edition – 2015Links to an external site.. Retrieved from http://ebooks.iospress.nl/publication/12524
Cherry, B., Caramanica, L, Everett, L. Q., Fennimore, L., & Elaine, S. (2019).Leveraging the power of board leadership in professional nursing organizationsLinks to an external site.. JONA: The Journal of Nursing Administration, 49(11), 517-519.
Echevarria, I. M. (2018). Make connections by joining a professional nursing organizationLinks to an external site.. Nursing, 48(12), 35â€“38.
Truant, R., & Chan, R. J. (2017). Future ready: Strengthening oncology nursing leadership in the context of professional oncology nursing organizationsLinks to an external site.. Canadian Oncology Nursing Journal, 27(1), 2-4.
Walden University. (n.d.).Master of Science in Nursing (MSN)Links to an external site.. Retrieved November 14, 2018, from https://www.waldenu.edu/masters/master-of-science-in-nursing
Choose among the following to review your specializationâ€™s Scope and Standards of Practice or Competencies:
Ebook: Nursing Informatics: Scope and Standards of Practice
American Nurses Association. (2015). Nursing informatics: Scope and standards of practice (2nd ed.)Links to an external site.. Silver Spring, MD: Author.
â€œThe Scope of Nursing Informatics Practice: Functional Areas of Nursing Informaticsâ€ (pp. 18â€“39)
Website: Core Competencies for Academic Nurse Eeducators
National League for Nursing. (2022).Nurse educator core competencyLinks to an external site.. Retrieved from https://www.nln.org/education/nursing-education-competencies/core-competencies-for-academic-nurse-educators
Note: The competencies for the Academic Nurse Educator do not encompass the competencies or scope and standards of practice for the Nursing Professional Developer. The set of competencies associated with that specific role within the Nurse Education specialization will be examined in future competencies throughout your specialization program of study.
Website: Nurse Executive Competencies
- American Organization for Nursing Leadership. (2015). AONL Nurse Executive competenciesLinks to an external site.. Retrieved from https://www.aonl.org/resources/nurse-leader-competencies
Public Health Nursing
Website: Public Health Nursing Competencies
- Quad Council Coalition. (2018). Community/Public Health NursingLinks to an external site. [C/PHN] competencies. Retrieved from https://www.cphno.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/QCC-C-PHN-COMPETENCIES-Approved_2018.05.04_Final-002.pdf
American Nurses Association. (2013). Public health nursing: Scope and standards of practiceLinks to an external site.(2nd ed.). Silver Spring, MD: Author.
Website: APRN Consensus Model
- APRN Consensus Work Group & the National Council of State Boards of Nursing APRN Advisory Committee. (2008). Consensus model for APRN regulation: Licensure, accreditation, certification & educationLinks to an external site.. Retrieved from https://www.nursingworld.org/~4aa7d9/globalassets/certification/aprn_consensus_model_report_7-7-08.pdf
Adult-Gerontology Acute Care and Primary Care NP Competencies
Website: AGAC and ACPC NP Competencies
- Adult-Gerontology NP Competencies Work Group. (2016). Adult-gerontology acute care and primary care NP competenciesLinks to an external site.. https://cdn.ymaws.com/www.nonpf.org/resource/resmgr/competencies/NP_Adult_Geri_competencies_4.pdf
Nurse Practitioner Core Competencies
Website: Nurse Practitioner Core Competencies
- The National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties. (2012). Nurse Practitioner core competenciesLinks to an external site.. https://cdn.ymaws.com/www.nonpf.org/resource/resmgr/competencies/npcorecompetenciesfinal2012.pdf
Nurse Practitioner Programs
Website: Nurse Practitioner Programs
- National Task Force on Quality Nurse Practitioner Education. (2016).Criteria for evaluation of Nurse Practitioner programsLinks to an external site.(5th ed.). https://cdn.ymaws.com/www.nonpf.org/resource/resmgr/Docs/EvalCriteria2016Final.pdf
Population-Focused NP Competencies
Website: Population-Focused Nurse Practitioner Competencies
- Population-Focused Competencies Task Force. (2013). Population-focused Nurse Practitioner competenciesLinks to an external site. https://cdn.ymaws.com/www.nonpf.org/resource/resmgr/Competencies/CompilationPopFocusComps2013.pdf