Nursing is an ever-evolving field, and nurses must stay informed to stay ahead of the curve. To do this, nurses must read the latest research and clinical studies in the field. From classic Nursing papers to cutting-edge research, there are several important Nursing papers that every nurse should read.
1. Florence Nightingale’s Notes on Nursing: What It Is, and What It Is Not. Published in 1859, Florence Nightingale’s Notes on Nursing is one of the most important papers in the history of Nursing. It is a classic work that provides an outline of the fundamentals of Nursing care, including hygiene, ventilation, nutrition, and the importance of observation. It is essential reading for nurses today, and is just as relevant as it was over 150 years ago.
2. The Future of Nursing: Leading Change, Advancing Health. This report was released in 2010 by the Institute of Medicine, and it provided a blueprint for transforming Nursing and healthcare in the 21st century. It called for nurses to take on a greater role in healthcare delivery, and outlined strategies to increase the number of nurses with higher education. This paper was a major influence in the development of the Affordable Care Act and the current healthcare landscape in the US.
3. Nursing Informatics: An Overview. Published in 1998, this paper provides an overview of the role of informatics in Nursing. It provides an introduction to the principles of Nursing informatics, including the use of technology to support patient care. It is an important paper for nurses who want to understand the role of technology in Nursing and how it can be used to improve patient care.
4. Clinical Reasoning in Nursing Practice. This paper, published in 2005, provides an overview of the concept of clinical reasoning in Nursing. It outlines the process of clinical reasoning, including the use of evidence-based practice and the application of clinical judgment. It also provides an introduction to the concept of reflective practice, which is an important part of evidence-based Nursing practice.
5. Impact of Nursing Care on Patients and Families. Published in 2013, this paper is a comprehensive review of the research on the impact of Nursing care on patients and families. It examines the evidence on the impact of Nursing care on outcomes such as patient satisfaction, quality of life, and health outcomes. It is an important paper for nurses who want to understand the impact of their care on patients and their families.
These are just a few of the most important Nursing papers that every nurse should read. By staying informed on the latest research and clinical studies, nurses can ensure they are providing the best care possible to their patients.